HOME
STORIES
JOURNALS
PHOTOS
VIDEOS
GLOSSARY
SUBMIT
CONTACT
Google


Friday, January 11, 2008

Were they Ghosts?

When I was very little, maybe 7 or 8 years old, my mom and dad and I had been staying with my dad’s brother in Parkersburg, IL. We were coming back home late at night, maybe between midnight and 1 a.m., when we came to a big curve in the road. And suddenly there walking on the edge of the road was a strange woman. She had long blond hair in Goldilocks curls, a full length yellowish white dress in what I thought was 1930s style. She didn’t have a coat on or anything, but it was pretty chilly. She looked like she might have been to a costume party, but it wasn’t Halloween or any time of year when a costume party would have been appropriate. I always wondered if she was maybe a ghost.

And when I was 10 years old, we were living in a mobile home that was on the ground with an old house. It was Halloween, and my sister, who was three years older, and I had been out trick or treating and had just come back. And we heard something outside the house, so we opened the door. And in came the prettiest, pure black little cat. We fed it some lunch meat, and it curled up on my bed for a time then after about 30 minutes, it got up, and we let it back out of the house. The next day we went around the town looking for it and asking if anybody had seen it, but nobody had. And we never saw it again. But I think of it as our Halloween cat.

And one Saturday, when I was on the way to Paducah with my dad, we went by the old slave house in Omaha. It had been written up in the newspapers, and college kids had often tried to stay overnight there, but had gotten spooked and left before the night was over. The fellow who lived there said a grandfather clock had once fallen over for no reason, and he told us that the slaves who were supposed to be ghosts in the house had live up in the attic, which had been a breeding room for the slaves. Anyway, my dad and I went upstairs to have a look at the place, and on the second or third floor, we looked into a bedroom, and a four foot high mirror on the wall was swaying back and forth. It was antique, and very heavy. We stopped it from swaying, then we tried to make it sway again by shaking it, jumping up and down, beating the walls, and whatever. But we couldn’t make it sway again.

Were any or all of these things ghosts or the result of ghosts? I don’t know. But I’ve always wondered.

Submitted from: Anonymous, IL

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did anyone else see the strange woman by the roadside at all? It's always possible she was a ghost.

The cat I don't think was a ghost... that just sounds like typical feline behaviour. Getting fed, sleeping and leaving when they feel like it.

But the swaying mirror sounds likely. A friend of mine used to have a picture that swayed whenever anything bad happened. It was too heavy to be moved by a draught and it seemed to do it wherever she lived. It was an old painting too.

Anonymous said...

The swaying mirror looks like a form of poltergeist phenomena, or maybe caused by a slight earthquake, or better yet, by the wall as it vibrates with the ground that you guys had stepped on.

post